Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day and Caramel Apple Goodness!

Happy Veterans Day! God Bless those who are serving and who have served for our Country. Thank you for your service and for keeping us safe. A quote from President George W. Bush really hit home with me this week. In his new book, "Decision Points," he writes...

"Then I looked at the little kids. The innocence of the children in the classroom in contrast to the evil of those who would attack America was vivid. It became very clear t
o me that my job was to protect the people."

Our service men and women are out risking their lives everyday, in order to protect ours. "War" is never the answer....but on 9/11....everything changed for our great country, and our President at the time, made it clear, that protecting American lives came first. Children, brothers, husbands, wives, grandparents, parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins.....we all came first that day, and our troops are still fighting for us. So for that, we salute you.

Last night I made sausage sandwiches for dinner. I would have a picture, but Brad was so hungry that the food disappeared before I could get a good shot. I made 3 kinds of sandwiches....and some might say they even sound gourmet. I made a Greek Isles sandwhich, one traditional ballpark and the other "chicken parm." I started by thinly slicing peppers and onions. I then sauteed them with a little OO and seasoning. In another pot, I heated up my tomato sauce with oregano and a pinch of Parmesan cheese. I then began to cook my chicken sausage on another griddle. While everything was cooking up, I grated cheddar cheese into a small mixing bowl. Once the sausages were cooked, I took out a baking sheet and lined it with tin foil. I put my sausages on it, and turned on the broil in the stove. I topped one sausage with the tomato sauce and grated cheese. I topped another sausage with feta cheese and spinach, and for the last one, I topped it with the sauteed peppers and onions. I put them under the broil for about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, I began toasting flatbread "fold ems" (there new at the grocery store) on the griddle...to get them warm and slightly crispy. After time was up, I removed my sausages from the oven and placed each inside a nice warm fold em roll.

This was such a yummy meal...and good for us too. Got that nice serving of veggies and whole grains in...plus organic chicken sausage!....... Sometimes Brad and I feel like randomly celebrating.....and because we have been so busy lately, he took me out and got me my favorite thing in the whole entire world....a milk chocolate and orange sprinkled covered caramel apple! When I was in High School, nothing would make me more happy than sitting down, eating my apple and watching my favorite TV shows at night. 5 1/2 years later...and that is still one of my favorite things to do. We came home....indulged in our apple and put on our DVR. It was the perfect night! Tonight, will most likely not be so relaxing....a trip to Ikea is in the works along with curtain and picture hanging!...Good thing tomorrow is Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment