Monday, November 29, 2010

Black Friday and Pumpkin Cake!

Back to work....after a great Thanksgiving Break!..Its also Cyber Monday...for all you deal grabbers! I had a very relaxing turkey break myself! It was wonderful to spend the holiday surrounded by family! Actually, it was great to just relax...and enjoy the holiday---and not think about wedding planning! Last year at this time--I was driving myself insane...trying to book bands, reception halls, etc......which now leaves me more time this year to concentrate on shopping :)

Speaking of shopping....I shopped till I dropped on Black Friday...literally! I was good and passed out on my pillow by the time Friday night rolled around! My mom and I started our day at Legacy place in Dedham. The lines at GAP, were out the door....not worth waiting for at all!! Next we landed on Newbury street....which surprisingly had great deals and more merchandise....probably becuase no one would think to shop for deals on Newbury street, but its our hidden gem! (plus no crowds!) I ended up purchasing a gift for my brother and some new things for Brad! My mom and I stopped at Pinkberry for some lunch. It was my first time at Pinkberry, and I really enjoyed it. Their fro-yo is tangy and sweet---and when topped with fresh fruit, almost tastes like a big smoothie! After exploring newbury and the Copley mall, we jetted off to the Chestnut Hill Mall. It was there, that we met up with my dad, brothers and Brad for dinner at Cheesecake. I was starving!!...All that shopping can really work up an appetite! I surprisingly (and I say surprisingly because I never, EVER venture off from my one favorite meal at restaurants) ordered the eggplant veggie pizza. It was really good!...I crashed later that night...along with my bank account..................just kidding!

So like I said last week, I was going to attempt to make a pumpkin shaped cake for Turkey Day. Well, 3 cakes later....and it finally came together! It came out much better than I ever expected!
I used Duncan Hines spike cake mix. In order to make this cake, you start by baking 2 bundt cakes. On the first cake, after it comes out of the oven/has had the proper time to cool, you trim the top slightly--so its flat. This can all sound confusing.....but if you look at the picture it will make more sense. You do the same to the second cake. Remember to save your cake scraps in another bowl, you will need them later. Place the 2 cakes together, so that they form a pumpkin shape! Now its time for the stem....UGH! I was happy I had 2 helpers with me...because for the stem...you need to use Marzipan! This stuff is really hard to work with......vegetable oil...helps soften a bit...but it takes some muscle. Use a toothpick (dipped in Oil) to help form the ridges on the stem. Roll the Marzipan into a cylinder and bend the skinny end into the stem shape. Use color dye to turn the stem orange. I also added a leaf...which you can choose to do...also made from marzipan. Okay, now....fill the hole in your cake with the extra cake scrapes that you put aside in the bowl. When you get close to the top....add in your stem and stuff some of the extra cake around it....to make sure its securely on.

Okay, frosting time.......you can do 2 types:

1. Kid friendly frosting: Frost the entire cake orange....by using confectionery sugar and butter (beaten together). Kids will love the taste...and the look!
2. Adult party (this is what I chose)....Mix 1 cup confectionery sugar...and 1 teaspoon of water together...to form a nice white glaze. Take a spoon of your glaze, and slowly pour it over the crease of the pumpkin, so that if falls into the stem region and down the sides of the cake. This makes it look really classy.

To finish---shave off filings of a chocolate truffle onto the cake and your plate! I had so much fun making this!!.....I am already drumming up ideas for Christmas.....I am thinking a cookie tree!

Brad and I really got into the holiday mood yesterday!...The music was blasting as we began to put up our holiday decorations! We ended the night...with some good old fashioned chicken "cheesesteaks!"...And since you all know I am into make healthy meals.....this one did not disappoint! I don't have a picture.....but we used lean chicken breasts (broiled for 7 minutes)....healthy flat bread, lots of veggies and low fat cheese---delicious!

Happy cyber shopping everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment