Friday, October 29, 2010

A Homemade Drive-thru Breakfast!

T.G.I.F! ...only 6 more hours to go until the weekend. The best part about the weekend is being able to wake up on Saturday and actually be able to cook a really good breakfast....french toast, pancakes, muffins....(YUM) ....all these dishes take a little extra time to make right...which is why they typically get left behind during the busy weekday mornings. However, this morning...I decided to change up the ole cereal breakfast, and swap it out for something, quick, tasty and that will surely get you in the mood for the weekend!!

I was ready and downstairs before Brad this morning, So I wanted to make a special breakfast to kick off our Friday...but I had limited time. I wasn't sure what exactly to make, and I was beginning to get sick of the whole egg n cheese sandwich. I decided to go with what I saw first in the fridge........I immediately began to slice up strawberries (2 for $5 at Shaws this week!)....in order to incorporate fruit into my dish. I then remembered we had Van's frozen organic waffles in the freezer (our favorite frozen waffle brand)..which sparked an idea. I quickly began to heat up a small teaspoon of butter in a pan on the stove. I then grabbed one egg and cracked that into my pan with the butter. While the egg was cooking...I whipped out my toaster, and threw in my waffles. When the waffles were toasted perfectly (cripsy but soft at the same time) and the egg was cooked through (just enough so that the yolk was intact, but not hard)....I buttered and staked my waffles up and placed the cooked egg on top. ***Here is a little secret...take a little of the left over melted butter in your egg pan and drizzle it over your creation (trust me on that one!) I then took my sliced strawberries and lined the plate around the waffles. I served with maple syrup and a side of OJ. The taste of the crispy, soft, buttered waffle mixed with warm egg yolk, drizzled with maple syrup cannot be beat! I call this dish.."Drive-Thru Waffles" because it is quick and tasty!

Brad was thrilled. And so was I. It took a mere 10 minutes to put together but looked and tasted like it really took a lot longer! Guys love a hardy breakfast (especially the ones that come from drive-thru windows)...and this had all the makings of one too...but without the guilt! Vans Organic waffles are great for you....full of fiber and vitamins, and eggs are a wonderful source of protein. Your guy will be impressed...and will forget he even missed out on his drive-thru mess of preheated bacon, ham, and cheese grossness!...and whats better than making your guy breakfast..and receiving the famous slogan "thank you!..have a great day :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment