Sunday, October 24, 2010

Boo-Licious Cookies!

Hello! Happy Monday…

Monday never has the same ring to it as Friday does, but nevertheless, the good news is that the Monday work day is almost over (at least for those on the east coast). I cannot believe that Halloween is this weekend ! I still do not have my costume figured out yet…but I think it is going to have something to do with dancing.

I was quite busy in the kitchen this past weekend. Friday night…I was up baking till the wee hours. I was making Halloween cookies to bring to a Halloween party. I thought it would be an easy task…however I was forgetting all the essential baking items needed to do cut out cookies…like a rolling pin?! (ive only lived in my house for 2 months…and I am still needing so much). Good thing Brad is handy…because we ended up wrapping a wine bottle in plastic wrap and using that as our rolling pin! The sugar cookie recipe is really easy as well. I used a boxed sugar cookie mix….which all you need is the mix, 1 egg, ¼ cup of flour and milk. Mix that all together until the dough forms. Then place flour down on paper…..and roll out our dough. (see photos below). I cut out pumpkin and leaf shape cookies. They cook for about 9 minutes at 375 degrees. That was the easy part.

Once the cookies are cooled….the decorating beings. I decided to make half whoopie pie cookies and half just plain cut outs.

Recipe for whoppie pie frosting:

-1 stick of butter

-teaspoon of vanilla extract

-Confectionary sugar (as much or as little as you like)

All you do is blend those ingredients together. For a much more “butter” taste, use less sugar. For a more rich...creamy frosting taste, use more sugar. It’s that simple. I added some orange food dye to my mix.

I also used another type of frosting…which was more soupy in texture and much more sugary. All I did to create that was use confectionery sugar and water. That’s it. This frosting can be used to write words and give cookies a really great color shield. I colored that frosting red and black.

To create my fall leaf cookies, I mixed the orange and red together in swirls on top of the cookie. They came out really good!...I used the orange on my pumpkins as well….with the black. I made boo cookies, mini pumpkins with pretzel stems and covered some in chopped up heresy’s chocolate and walnuts to give a really fall feel to them. This was such a fun project to work on. The guests really enjoyed these cookies!

The next morning….I woke up and made Brad French toast as a thank you, for putting up with my cookie night. I made a simple French toast recipe that calls for 2 eggs per 4 pieces of bread, milk, a dash of sugar, a dash of cinnamon and a little melted butter…all mixed together. I heated up my griddle and dunked each piece into the mixture. I let the toast simmer and cook on the griddle for about 7ish minutes at medium heat. I served with butter and maple syrup!...YUM! …that picture is making me hungry right now!

As you begin to think about your Halloween costumes…keep this in mind….Yes Halloween is a time to dress up in something crazy…but its also a great time to dress up in something that makes you look fantastic! For example, One year I was sandy from grease. I got to wear a cute outfit…the whole night!...so instead of going for a big banana…try something that really shows you off!

No comments:

Post a Comment